Sunday, May 24, 2009

my first ever EdD supervision preparation

These are the notes I am using to prepare for my first telephone supervision. Hope they may be useful for my student and anyone interested. they should also help me this time next year!

Preparation for telephone supervision (1)
Note that student should also type up her notes and send to me – she could do this as a ‘learning contract’ p17 Programme Guide.
1. Common ground: what are our common interests?
2. Her proposal and feedback:
a. I especially liked ...
b. She needs to explain why she is ......
c. Develop Research questions if necessary
d. Theoretical/methodological considerations
3. Her progress notes sent to me by e-mail prior to this conversation (thanks):
a. What I liked ....
b. What does she see as the purpose of the literature review? (ch3 of course reader)
c. considering mixed methods – if appropriate
d. What other ideas is she developing?
4. PR01
a. Due 15th June 3000 – 4000 words (p21 of my pink booklet and p63-66 of programme guide): i. RQs and hypotheses for Year 1
ii. Lit review development
iii. Rationale for methodology and methods
iv. Month by month timetable for Year 1 showing where PR02,03, 04 and the initial study fit in
v. Brief indication of what will be in 02 and 03 (eg Lit Review and methodology)
b. Has she already got a theoretical framework? See ch5 of course reader.
c. Activity 19 (p65 of programme guide) – just looking at first two questions of this here:
i. What is her theoretical perspective in terms of the work being undertaken and the methodology?
ii. The research questions (see 2b and c above)
5. Ideas
a. Consider using the forum linked to her own blog to sound out bits of writing – e.g. the purpose of a literature review, how she developed her personal framework; or use the OU Knowledge Network to publish
Methods in Social Research. (2002) Essex, England: Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment